Burn permits are available online and are required for residents living outside the city limits and located in Rural Fire District #1. Burn permits are valid for 6 months, either January-June or July-December. A county resident is allowed unlimited burns during that time but must call 913-294-4444 Option 4 before each burn. There are additional regulations that are detailed in the permit form. Completed permits may be returned to City Hall or emailed to the address on the form. Forms are also available at City Hall. City residents do not need a permit but burning is only allowed on Fridays and Saturdays.
For other non-emergency inquiries or to arrange a tour of the fire station for your organization, contact the fire department at 913-837-4700.
The City is fortunate to maintain a Level Four ISO Rating. This high rating helps keep local property insurance rates low for property owners. Louisburg is able to achieve this rating due to a dedicated group of volunteers that respond to emergencies; with improvements to the local water distribution system made in recent years; and with the assistance of Miami County in housing some of its rural equipment at the fire station in Louisburg.
History of the Louisburg Fire Department (as gathered and shared by local historian Fred Barnes and information compiled by the Louisburg Historical Society and printed in the “Celebrating Louisburg 1868-2018” magazine published for the City’s Sesquecentennial.)
The first efforts of a Louisburg fire department occurred March 15, 1895, when Jesse Williams was asked to build a hook and ladder fire truck for the city, according to news reports in the Louisburg Herald.
The Louisburg Herald reported a fire destroyed City Hall and burned all records Nov. 18, 1909. Damages were estimated at $3,000. The entire block, located on the west side of Broadway between Amity and S. First St., was destroyed.
In 1917, the City purchased a fire truck and put W.T. Breckenridge in charge of the truck.
On Dec. 4, 1919, according to The Herald, Mayor Tronjo appointed R. Henry Reed as Fire Chief. The engine will be housed in the Reed garage and the following are the crew: W. T. Breckenridge, E. J. McGuirk, H. Earl Young, W. A. Stephenson, George Tronjo, J. M. McClusky and Henry Reed.
In 1924 the community had its first fire station. It was in the former City power plant just south of the current Fox Hall near Broadway & S. Second Street and next door to the police station.
In 1925 several businesses were destroyed by fire on the east side of Broadway in downtown. Damages were estimated at $50,000.
In the 1980s the fire station moved to Amity Street located in the north end of the NAPA Auto Parts building. In 1990, a new station was built at 209 S. Metcalf Road. The current station at 205 S. Metcalf was built in 2006 to house larger fire equipment, with a storm shelter located in the basement, while the old station was refurbished as the police station.
By 2020 the fire crew still remains largely a volunteer crew with a full-time fire chief. The station houses city-owned fire equipment, including an aerial truck purchased in 2016, and equipment for Rural Fire District #1.